- Initially the individual's special needs and circumstances are identified and clarified.
- An in-depth interview follows which is wide-ranging and comprehensive.
- Special attention is focused on the client's ability level, special aptitudes, interests and personality characteristics.
- Standardised psychometric diagnostic tests are used where appropriate to provide additional objective data to complete the picture.
- Interpretation and careful explanation of the collected information enables the counsellor guide the client in arriving at a clearer knowledge and understanding of self.
- The client develops a more assured and confident ability to make judicious career and education decisions.
- We see where all the elements of your personal profile are pointing.
We identify careers which are most suitable for your unique profile.
This is followed by detailed consideration and a decision.
The next stage is to form a strategic plan to get from here to there taking all circumstances into account
Written reports are provided on each aspect of the process.
- an overall report with defined options,
- information on qualifications and courses and educational opportunities,
- a career/ Job Search strategy,
- assistance with a modern style CV
- continuing follow up with advice and guidance.
Leaving Cert Students and 5Th Years.
- One or both parents are encouraged to attend when detailed assessment information is explained and guidance is being given.
ALL AGES C&E ASSESSMENT
- This can be done at any time as and when the need arises.
Some categories of persons who benefit include:
- Persons unhappy at work and seeking a change
- Graduates uncertain of a career direction
- Persons wishing to return to the workforce
- Young persons without a career plan or direction in life
- Persons simply seeking a professional personal profile analysis
CAREERS & COURSES
- Researching the large volume of information on careers and courses presents a daunting task for most students.
- The exercise is greatly facilitated by focusing on the categories identified in the assessment process.
- The student is guided through the bank of careers and courses and the various levels of professional qualifications achievable.
- All Third Level courses in Ireland and the UK are included .
- Further Education /PLC courses and other less obvious opportunities are also included.
- Assistance can be given with the application procedure if required.
- A file of relevant information is given to each client
Psychological Testing Explained :
- Standardised diagnostic instruments are administered as part of the assessment process.
- They offer high levels of validity and reliability.
- Results are interpreted by reference to well researched and scientifically established norms.
- They include: Thomas International Personal Profile Analysis and TST.
- Psychometric testing provides objective information on such personal traits as:
- Differential aptitudes
- Ability to learn,
- Mental agility and visualisation
- Concentration levels,
- Speed and accuracy
- Number skills,
- Deductive logic
- Verbal reasoning,
- Mechanical/technical logic
- Information retention
Other test instruments are used as required in clarifying general interests, occupational interests and personality traits.
Assistance with CV preparation and Job Search is provided.
The service is normally completed over two to three visits i.e. 3x1.5 hours.
If necessary, further clarifications can be made by subsequent visits or by telephone.
Career & Education Guidance offers a comprehensive service.
The service is by appointment only and is conducted by
Jack Griffin. BA, TTG, HDE, DCG. South Park, Foxrock, Dublin 18
Brief Biographical Note
Career Guidance and Counselling since 1978
Teacher of Irish and Maths,
Director of Adult and Continuing Education
College Principal for 22 years.
Career and Education Guidance - Private Practice since 2004
Careers Advisor to Companies, Graduates and Professionals.
Career Guidance Counsellor at Post Primary, Further Education, Adult Education, Third Level and Post Grad. Levels.
Jack is a member of the Institute of Guidance Counsellors www.igc.ie and has extensive and long-time experience in education and guidance.
- This service is confidential and tailored to the needs of the individual